Wednesday, October 17, 2012

WIP Wednesday

Okay, here's a .project I started in the 70's! This qualifies as my very first quilt.
One year, when I was in high school, I cut out all these squares from fabric leftover from clothes my Mom had made me or that I had made myself and gave the squares as a Christmas gift to my folks. Of course the plan was to make them into a quilt... Fast forward about 10 years or so, I am married and find these squares and decide to make the quilt- I have no idea what I'm doing so I just slapped them together. It makes me laugh to see how I didn't think about colors together, some of the same colors are touching, the embroidered squares aren't even centered! I found this again (still unfinished...) when I was cleaning out my sewing area. Time to try to get this done! Or maybe next year...? Here is a close of of one of the embroidered squares:
It's funny, but I can remember almost all the clothes that were made from these fabrics. The upper right is from my high school graduation dress.
Another project I'm working on is an apron for our Awana carnival- it's called" pick a pocket".
You put prizes in the different pockets and they get to choose. FUN!
In the blank looking place are blue pockets that I will stencil question marks on. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday- what are you working on?
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Your quilt top looks cool, how amazing to find an old project like that. It is interesting to see how your skills and workmanship have progressed, isn't it?
    My grandma gave me a bag of fabric she found in her stash recently. It is stuff my mom and dad bought about 25 years ago with the intention to make a quilt. They didn't get very far, I'll make something with it, but right now I am terrified to cut into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find! Even with the "mistakes" it's a gorgeous quilt! I started making a quilt in high school (log cabin, of course) but never got very far. I recently found the pieces but the colors are SO different from what I'm into these days that I think I ended up donating all the fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun! don't worry about perfection, the mistakes and memories from each of the fabrics are what makes this one special :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shawn

    You said you like comments. Well here's about the best comment you have heard from me in awhile. I WILL LOVE YOU UNTIL THE SUN NEVER SHINES AGAIN.

    Love always,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete